Businesses, just like normal domestic customers, are encouraged to switch suppliers when it comes to their utilities. Negotiating a better deal, however, is not always as easy as it seems. Contracts can be complicated and the long-term benefits or disadvantages difficult to assess.
If you want to spend more on your business and less on your gas, electricity, and water, it might be time to give a utility broker a try.
Here are the top 10 ways they can benefit your business:
- They can handle all your utility suppliers, including water, and make sure you get the best tariffs and contract terms that suit your business.
- You build a personal relationship with an account manager who has taken the time to learn what your business actually needs. That means you have a better of chance of paying a price which benefits your company both in the short and long-term.
- Most businesses are worried about their carbon footprint. The trouble is many don’t understand what this exactly means and how to improve it. You can work with your utility broker to find greener options such as energy suppliers that only use renewable sources.
- Businesses tend to focus most of their attention on gas and electricity. Water is also deregulated so you could be getting a better deal on your usage than you thought. It’s worth investigating if you water costs seem too high.
- It’s not just about getting the best deal from your suppliers, though that is important. Another aspect of saving money on utilities is understanding your usage. A utility broker will carry out an audit and find other ways that you can cut costs in house.
- Ever wonder how you compare to similar businesses in your sector? It’s important to be able to benchmark your energy and water usage so that you know where you stand and set goals on what can be achieved. Your broker will be able to set these benchmarks and ensure that you maintain efficient control over your utility spend.
- If you really want to reduce your energy waste, getting staff involved is one important way to achieve this. An energy broker helps you put in measures to increase awareness and develop a policy that cuts costs.
- Utility bills can be complicated, more so than in the domestic sector. Your utility broker will give you the insight you need to completely understand what you are spending on and when.
- Businesses nowadays have to be compliant with a number of regulations – the utility broker is there to make sure you don’t get on the wrong side of the rules. They also keep up to date with any changes in the market or legislation so you don’t have to worry about being caught out.
- Finally, your utility broker will be able to help you plan forward so that you know what to expect further down the line. That could mean your business is able invest in growth and success rather than worry about what those utility bills are going to be.
Any size business should benefit from taking control of their utility bills and usage, however big or small. While it may seem like a cost cutting measure to do it yourself, the truth is that today’s modern utility market is complex and difficult to navigate. Getting it wrong can add significant costs to your operating budget.